Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spicy Oven Fried Chicken


Hello again, it has been two days since my last post and thanks to sleep and paracetamols, I'm back on the blog.

Well, after a long rest you would be hungry too.  And that I was, for chicken.  I'm deathly afraid of cooking raw chicken so instead I always overcook my chicken.  Sad but true.  However, after perusing many recipes on how to bake chicken, I came up with my own take on oven fried chicken.  I did not have enough eggs to support the egg-flour batter thing nor did I have sour cream as suggested by a couple cooks.  Instead, I have a vat of mayonnaise in my fridge that will probably be expired before I even finish half of the jar this year.

Mayo?! You ask.  Yes, mayo does wonders for chicken like this.  Follow these instructions and you're sure to want to show off your mad chicken baking skillz.

What's in your pantry:

2-3 lbs of chicken legs, breasts, whole legs (I just bought a set of whole legs)
1 C of bread crumbs
1/2 C of mayonnaise
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon of Thyme leaves
1 Teaspoon of Paprika
1 Teaspoon of Cayenne
1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon of Chicken flavored powder bouillon (Optional, found in Asian market)

Tools:

A large 9x13 pan for baking
A large pan/area for coating chicken with mayo
A large bowl or gallon sized plastic bag for bread coating
  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
  • In the large bowl mix thoroughly the Bread Crumbs, Salt, Garlic Powder, Thyme Leaves, Paprika, Cayenne, Black Pepper and Chicken bouillon.
  • Coat thawed chicken with mayonnaise.  Don't be shy.
  • After the mayo coating, take the chicken for some bread crumb coating.  Make sure the chicken is completely covered in the spicy bread crumbs.
  • Place chicken in the lightly greased pan.  Bake chicken for an hour.  
For those of you who don't like chicken skin, this recipe works just as well with skinless meat.

Now for some sides like homemade biscuits, Amish potato salad, green beans, a cool cucumber salad and some sweet iced tea.  Hmmm Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks good. I'm going to have to try this recipe.. Also, you can find various types of bouillon at non-Asian markets. Some grocers keep it with the soups, and others keep it with the spices. If your grocer has difficulty with food/word association, he may keep it with the gold... or not.

    Never thought of mayo.. Good call, sis.

    If you need a good biscuit recipe, let me know. :D

    L~

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMmmm I always like your baking recipes!

    ReplyDelete