Thursday, January 5, 2012

Almond Poppy Seed Cake


Happy New Year 2012!! It's been a long time since I've been on blog and a lot of life has happened since then. My husband and I experienced joy, anticipation, grief and now healing. But all is well as we look forward to the future with hope and love. I am wishing the same for you and your life!

Well, I wanted to start off the new year's blog with a favorite recipe of my mother's: Almond Poppy Seed Cake. She left her recipe in Thailand so we searched the web for the closest recipe according to her recollection.

I found this recipe on Cooks.com and I made specific changes e.g. instead of just butter, I recommend using unsalted butter. As for buttermilk you can make your own by using 1 cup of whole milk and two teaspoons of vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes or more before use. My Almond Extract, Cinnamon and Poppy Seeds are all from Penzeys Spices. The quality is wonderful and potent. Even my mother noticed a difference. Enjoy this recipe and visit Cooks.com for more recipes that don't have pictures but they are tried and true delish!

Almond Poppy Seed Cake
Recipe adapted from Cooks.com

1 teaspoon Almond Extract
1 cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 cup Sugar
2 1/2 cup Sifted Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Poppy Seeds
1 cup Unsalted Butter
4 Eggs, separated
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Sugar (Additional)
  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt cake pan. 
  • Make cinnamon sugar; combine cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
  • Combine almond extract, poppy seeds and buttermilk; set aside.
  • Combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. 
  • Cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add 4 egg yolks. Beat until creamy.
  • Add alternately, flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into creamed butter/sugar bowl. Mix well.
  • Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then gently fold in egg whites into cake mixture bowl. 
  • Pour 1/2 the batter into a well greased and floured bundt cake pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture. 
  • Pour the rest of the batter into the pan and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top. You can add more sugar and cinnamon if you prefer. (My mom added a bit more). 
  • Bake 40-60 minutes. I found out our cake was done when I could smell the almond throughout the kitchen and living room! Not the best way to find out but it worked. As always, you know your oven best.


You can glaze this with a lemon rum glaze or go the extra mile, like my sister, by spreading whipped pink frosting and enjoying the holiday calories to the max. Happy Thursday to you!

My sister's take on glaze. :) Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment