Thursday, March 31, 2011

State Fair Decadence...Delicious!

The weather is getting warmer and we're heading into summer...and that means STATE FAIRS!! My first experience of this event was the Iowa State Fair. My spiritual mom, Sherrie, who was born and raised in Des Moines Iowa would make every effort to take a group of us there every late summer. We would book a hotel and spend a day or two just enjoying and taking in the sites and sometimes not-so-great smells of what a great state fair has to offer.

The most decadent part of the trip was the food. Yes sirree! We'd start off in the Agricultural Building and buy ourselves a handful of honeysticks and homemade candles in decorated tin jars. Then go downstairs to have some rich ice cream made from Iowa cow's milk, admire the famous butter cow and after that we would proceed to the main street where they sold medium strength margaritas and deep fried foods. It was here where I had my first deep fried oreo and I've never forgotten the taste and the flood of joy that warmed through me when I took that first bite. (Drifting...)

Back to the post.

Yes, deep fried everything is what you can find at a state fair. If I can recall, they offered deep fried twinkies, snickers and something else other than oreos but man oh man, it's definitely worth an intense workout or two. But seriously, it's only once a year and it doesn't hurt to indulge in just one cute little deep fried cardiac arrest, is it?

Here are some videos I found on deep fried treats...

Not real sure if the Iowa State Fair has deep fried bacon but they should.





Yes there is some nutrition to this one:



Out of all the videos, I prefer her accent and presentation! :) Thanks Liz, I'll definitely try this recipe after my husband is off of Lent (he gave up sweets and junk food...hehe).



Link to the Iowa State Fair.
Links to the creator of the Butter Cow, Norma "Duffy" Lyon.

2 comments:

  1. Ewwww...DEEP FRIED BACON?!?!? OMG!! You're So wanting to kill yourself if you make that or eat that!!! Yuck! lol....But fried snickers and oreo's is Sooooooooooooooooooo good!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Deep Fried Oreos and it was heaven in my mouth! But I'd definitely try the Deep Fried Bacon, then workout for two hours at the fair. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete