Friday, December 2, 2011

Traditional Butter Cookies


This recipe today comes from the kitchen of Michelle Gesse via Penzey's Spices' December catalogue. If you don't know what Penzey's Spices is, well it's time you get acquainted with this company and their goods. I've known of them for YEARS, since my days in the midwest.

When I read stories of merchants bringing spices from exotic lands, I imagine being in such a market whenever I visit a Penzey's store. If you haven't been to a Penzey's store, I urge you to make a trip. You will not be disappointed. If the cashier offers you to join their mailing for a catalogue, say yes. Every catalogue features a cook, their passion for food and what recipes they have to share.

I'm so glad I made this recipe for my christmas cookies this year. It will certainly become one of our family favorites. It has the sweetness of a sugar cookie but with a buttery finish and melt-in-your mouth texture. It tastes more exquisite I think than a regular sugar cookie.

The ingredients used are half the quantity of the original recipe. There is also a bit of flavoring I added as a personal preference. Hope you enjoy it!

Traditional Butter Cookies
Recipe and instructions adapted from Michelle Gesse via Penzey's Spices. Yields approx 2 dozen.

1 cup  Salted Butter (softened)
1 cup  Powdered Sugar
2 Egg yolks
1 teaspoon  Vanilla extract (Madagascar vanilla used)
1/4 teaspoon  Orange flavor extract
2 1/2 cup  Sifted Flour
Wax paper
Cooling racks
  • Cream butter until light and fluffy.
  • Add powdered sugar and mix well. 
  • Add egg yolks, on at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Add vanilla and orange extracts, mix well.
  • Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. 
  • Divide dough and pat into discs, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Work with one disc at a time. Lay wax paper and place dough on paper, lay another layer of wax paper on top of dough. Roll out dough to desired thickness and have fun with creating cookie shapes.


Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. Or bake until lightly golden. Carefully remove cookie and let cool on racks. Decorate cookies with a glaze when warm or let cool completely and have fun!



For more Penzey's Spices.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Bethany! They ARE super yummy...I'm going to have to hide them from my husband. He's trying to maintain his good weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHy have I never heard of Penzey's?????

    ReplyDelete