Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rutabaga What?!


I was catching up on one of my favorite shows on Food Network, Chopped, and a particular vegetable that came out of the infamous black basket was a Rutabaga: ru-ta-ba-ga/ˈro͞otəˌbāgə/. According to Aggie Horticulture, a Rutabaga is similar to the turnip but more dense and grows larger than a turnip (as the picture obviously indicates). The contestants all had an interesting time (or less time) cooking this starchy root vegetable. I personally would have thinly sliced the rutabaga and bake it or deep fry it. You know, kind of turning it into some rutabaga chips. Sounds good in theory but I don't know if I would have had enough time according to the show's clock.

Well, I've never cooked this root veggie but I'm curious now. I think I'll make a trip to the market and see what kind of recipes I come up with. Have you cooked a rutabaga? Got any recipes? Write a comment or send your emails to Thefulltimewife@gmail.com.

"or ginormous rutabaga?" photo by Velcro. courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment