Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken Stew (West African Style), Attempt No.1

This photo looks Old School Betty Crocker-ish...but BC would do it better. 
So what do you do for dinner when you have a can of diced tomatoes, chicken breasts and you're totally bored of the routine chicken dishes? Well, that's what I faced one evening and so I searched for the word "chicken stew" and found a couple interesting recipes. What I found most interesting were the African or West African Chicken Stew recipes that called for peanut butter. Peanut butter in stew? Sounds fun!

After reading and researching a couple recipes, I concocted this recipe I'm going to share with you. Mind you, it's a first attempt and I don't think I can confidently say it's an African or West African stew, hence the parentheses in the title. So the next time I try this, there will be tweaks here and there but my first attempt did get a passing grade by me and my husband.

For this recipe I used two very large chicken breasts. I took off the skin and cut each of them into three pieces. You can mince garlic or just slice up each clove. Also, I used my dutch oven for this recipe. Here goes something delicious for the evening:

Chicken Stew (West African style)

2 Large Chicken Breasts, cut into six pieces
1 can of Diced Tomatoes
1 1/2 cup of Baby Carrots
2 teaspoons of Cumin
2 teaspoons of Ground Coriander Seeds
2 teaspoons of Powdered Chicken Bouillon
2 teaspoons of Salt
2 teaspoons of Black Pepper
2 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons of Natural Unsweetened Peanut Butter
6-7 cloves of Garlic, sliced
1 large Onion, diced
1 cup of Water
2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
White cooking wine
  • Heat pan with vegetable oil. Brown each side of chicken in pan. Once browned remove chicken and set aside.
  • The bottom of the pan might brown so add a couple of splashes of white cooking wine to help loosen the greatness at the bottom.
  • Add garlic and diced onions. Then add baby carrots. Fry the trio until onions are tender.
  • Add cumin, ground coriander seeds, cayenne, bouillon, salt and black pepper. Mix well. 
  • Place chicken on top and add tomatoes, peanut butter and water. Mix well and cover, bring to a boil. Then lower heat to medium low and let cook for 30-40 minutes. And as always you know your stove best so you know how high or low you need to get your food cooked. 
Serve with rice or potatoes and have yourself a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment