I'm a huge fan of comfort food if you haven't noticed my food posts. And what more comfort does one need when it comes to a hearty Shepherd's Pie? I mean ground beef and potatoes baked together in savory spices? Killer!
Well here is my recipe for Scrump-Delicious Shepherd's Pie and I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did. In fact, we liked it so much that I forgot to take a picture of the whole pie. By the time I remembered we were down to a meager leftover size...more like an appetizer.
1 lb Ground Beef 93% (if not 93%, brown and drain, set aside and proceed w/ 2nd step)
1 can (15 1/4 oz) Whole Kernel Corn (drained)
2 cups thawed Frozen Peas & Carrots (drained)
1 medium Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Dark Sweet Soy Sauce (it's thick & sticky sweet)
1/4 cup Red wine (Used a Malbec)
1 Chicken Bouillon cube (didn't have beef bouillon in pantry)
Mashed Potatoes: simple recipe of three potatoes peeled, cut and boiled until fork-tender. Drain potatoes. Add some butter, salt & black pepper to taste and a couple splashes of milk. Adjust ingredients to suit your taste.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Saute onions until tender, add garlic. Don't let garlic brown.
- Add beef until browned. Then add corn, peas & carrots, rosemary, thyme, parsley, dark soy sauce, bouillon, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add wine and keep stirring until liquid is reduced.
- Pour beef mixture into pie pan and cover mixture with mashed potatoes (ahh looks like a meringue pie).
- Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes, some browning on mashed potato peaks will do just fine.
- Serve with Love and Pride.