This goes out to Better Homes & Gardens circa 1965. I can't believe I actually made this thing of absolute delight and flavor. Initially, I was a bit hesitant in trying to bake an Angel Cake and Daffodil Layers from scratch but I forged ahead and did it anyway. The ingredients didn't sound too wonderful for me since I'm not a big fan of eggs and more eggs. However, I was wonderfully surprised. I was so proud of myself I almost finished the entire cake.
I added a little more lemon zest to the Daffodil layers and gave it a whipped cream/butter like crumb coating. Beat whipping cream with some zest and 1/4 sugar...texture should turn out like butter. Crumb coat cake and chill. Once chilled, frost with Sugar Free Cool Whip.
Recipes below are verbatim from Better Homes & Gardens Dessert Cook Book.
1 cup sifted cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups (12) egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
- Sift flour with 3/4 cup sugar 4 times.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla till stiff enough to form soft peaks but still moist and glossy.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, continuing to beat until meringue holds stiff peaks.
- Sift 1/4 of flour mixture over whites; fold in. Fold in remaining flour by fourths.
- Bake in ungreased 10-inch tube pan in moderate oven (375 degrees) 35 to 40 minuets or till done.
- Invert pan, cool.
1/2 envelope (1 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
3 beaten egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
Few drops yellow food coloring
1 10-inch tube angel cake
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup sugar in top of double boiler; add yolks, lemon peel and juice.
- Cook over hot, not boiling, water, stirring constantly until slightly thick and gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 to 8 minutes. Cool until partially set.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
- Fold into gelatin mixture. Tint with few drops yellow food coloring.
- Trim or brush crusts from cake.
- Cut crosswise in 3 equal layers. Spread bottom layer with half the gelatin mixture; add second cake layer and spread with remaining gelatin; top with third cake layer.
- Chill well. Frost with whipped cream [Cool Whip]. Makes 10 servings.