Thursday, January 19, 2012

Flourless Brownies...Thank You Whole Foods


I just recently discovered a magical website called Pinterest. My cousin Melody mentioned it to me and then my girlfriend Lacy affirmed it's awesomeness. Hehe. Well, in search of things to "pin" onto my Food board, I ran across a flourless brownie recipe that led to another gluten-free recipe that I had ingredients to in my pantry. So I decided to make Whole Food's version of this magnificent treat. My first attempt turned out okay but not quite the chocolatey texture I wanted. This picture is of my second attempt with added melted chocolate bar from Trader Joe's (72% Dark Chocolate). I am not saying this is gluten-free or peanut allergy-free but it certainly is flour-free. Have a blast making this and I know it's sure to become one your favorite family treats, just don't tell them it's made with black beans! 

Flourless Brownies
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods website

1 (15 oz) can of unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
3 large eggs (room temperature)
1/4 c Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Salt
1/3 c Melted Unsalted Butter & a little more for greasing pan
1/2 c Xylitol or artificial sweetener
1/2 c Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
3 oz *Melted 72% Chocolate Bark
1/2 c of Walnuts (Optional)
  • Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease 8x10 inch pan.
  • In a food processor, mix black beans, eggs, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, melted butter & xylitol. Blend until consistency is smooth.
  • Add melted chocolate bar into food processor and blend well.
  • Pour batter into greased pan and mix into batter 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Sprinkle the other 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top of batter. 
  • Bake for 30-34 minutes for soft, gooey brownie.
Enjoy with milk of choice!

* When melting chocolate bark, I use my homemade double-boilder method. Like this pic.

Photo from Baking Bites Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment