Thursday, July 14, 2011

Guilt-Free Cornbread


My husband and I are currently trying to reduce (not completely obliterate) our white foods intake. White foods meaning white flour, white rice and white sugars. So in order to still be able to enjoy our favorite side dish with chili, soups and stews, I modified Quaker's Easy Corn Bread recipe to fit our dietary desires.

This recipe calls for vegetable oil and to replace the oil I used Veganaise and unsweetened applesauce. At first I thought Veganaise was a bizarre mayo substitute that would taste horrible, but to our surprise it was still bizarre yet it tasted pretty good. So try this recipe for yourself and see what you think. I know it was definitely a hit with my husband and my family when they came for a visit!

How guilt can be extracted from cornbread:
Basic instructions modified from Quaker's Easy Corn Bread recipe

1 cup of Oat Flour
1 cup of Corn Flour
1/4 cup of Splenda Granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of Skim Milk
1/4 cup of Veganaise
1/4 cup of Unsweetened Applesauce
1 egg beaten
  • Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 or 9-inch pan with Spam baking spray.
  • Combine Oat flour, Corn flour, Splenda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
  • Stir in milk, Veganaise, applesauce and egg. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
  • Pour batter into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remember to check the cornbread at around 15 minutes due to the modified ingredients that could speed up cooking time. 
Have a great Thursday and get ready to cry for the last installment of Harry Potter! I'm already missing everything Potter and Hogwarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment