Monday, July 11, 2011

Braised Beef and Carrots


Hello good people of Monday. Hope your weekend and last holiday weekend was a great time with friends and family. I've had a great busy month of June with guests both family and dear friends visiting for a day or a week from all over the world. 

During that time I've learned to come out of my shell with guests and start cooking for a larger audience. Believe it or not, I'm quite shy about actually cooking food that I blog. Most of the time it's only me and my husband eating the food that I concoct. And I don't know if this happens to you or not but whenever I attempt to whip up something for my guests I always get distracted and either burn the dish or completely mess up my recipe. Luckily, I'm slowly overcoming this boo boo with each guest we host. 

This past week I had the privilege of cooking for my sister and her man. I had to come up with something easy to make that's meaty and filling and best of all it gives me time to relax as a hostess. So I made an adaptation of my mother's recipe for braised beef. She would never use red wine but I did and it's a work in perfection. One of these days I'll this recipe down just right! So thanks for reading my post today and I hope your take on this dish is a hit with you and your guests.

Let's braise this baby:

1 1/2 pound Beef Rump Roast, salt and peppered
2 medium size Yellow Onions, quartered
6-7 medium Carrots, peeled and cut 2 inch length
1/2 teaspoon of Thyme
1/2 teaspoon of Marjoram
1/2 teaspoon of Sage
1 teaspoon of Rosemary
2 teaspoons of Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
2 teaspoons of Black Pepper
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon of Beef Seasoning (no MSG)
1 cup of Red Wine (I used my unfinished Barefoot Merlot...libations never gone to waste)
2 cups of Water
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Dutch Oven Cooking Pot
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. 
  • Sear the beef on all sides until you get a golden brown color. Remove the beef and set aside.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Heat onions, all spices (except bay leaves) and seasonings. Cook onions until tender. 
  • Create an even surface of onions, then place seared beef on top of onions. Add carrots around the meat. 
  • Pour in red wine and water and bay leaves. Cover pot and cook on medium high for about 15-20 minutes. Then reduce heat to low simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 
  • As always, you know your stove best so keep an eye and nose alert for any burning of food. Adjust cook time accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment